3/29/09

changes

I have always been one who enjoys a new adventure a change of scenery. . . we have gotten a few of those in the past few weeks.
They have reorganized our ward boundaries, our ward is now the Palmer Park ward and has doubled in size. Bret got a new calling to the high council and I have been called as the 2nd counselor in the Relief Society. I am feeling incredibly inadequate! We have 266 sisters on our roster and as I look over it I see a number of sisters who are far more qualified for this job than me! I still am asking why I have been given this calling- what I do I have to give to the sisters? But both the relief society president and the bishop feel I am the one for the job. So I will give it my best. I have had several callings that were for my "benefit and learning" and not for those I am serving. I am guessing this might be the case again!! I know I have so much to learn and my testimony and understanding of the gospel will grow immensely- I just hope those sisters I am serving will be patient with my learning curve!
In other changes I just got accepted into the BYU bachelor's of general studies program. Yes, I am going back to school for I believe the third time!! I am all registered for my 1st class and hoping to get done with my degree before Eve graduates!! Of course those of you who know me well also know that whenever I start school I get pregnant. I am not- but I am assuming it will be another change to look forward to-- it seems to go hand in hand with my goal of finishing school.
Bret has also decided on going back to school. He wants to get a P.h.d. but he just missed the cut off for the Fall program so it will be a bit before he actually starts. (thank goodness)
Anyways we like to pile it all on when we get the chance!

5 comments:

Linda Westover said...

Jessica, you underestimate your own capabilities! There will undoubtedly be a group of women who will identify with you because you are a mother of a young family who can keep it all together (at least most of the time). Your mother taught you much about using your means prudently, and that is a skill that many young sisters need desperately to learn, whether they know it or not. I think you'll be fabulous in the R.S.!

Susie said...

Wow. Lots of news! You will do awesome in your new calling and at school. Feeling inadequate is perhaps the best way for the Lord to instruct you as to how you can best meet the needs of the sisters in the ward... as long as you don't dwell on it too much, that is. Best of luck!

Karen said...

So are you over enrichment, like Ramona? My advice is always "Be grateful you're not the Pres. This will be easy compared to that!" Plus there is a wealth of experience in this crowd that would love to talk RS, or Cub Scouts or YW's or how NOT to teach seminary as well as How to teach seminary! You'll be great!

Luisa said...

Jessica, you'll love being in RS! I don't think being a counselor in RS is any harder than being a counselor in Primary or YW, and you did great in those callings. This won't be any different. And it will be a great way to get to know all the sisters in your new ward. I'm predicting you will love it and have so much fun, and in a month or two, you will wonder why you were even worried.

Have fun!

Carla and crew said...

So are you going to Provo? or is there a BYU Center in Air Force country? How very brave of you--I'm afraid that my college brains have been fried! I am focusing my brainy energy on Erin who will be attending USU in the fall!
You will love RS! It is the best calling.